Sunday, January 08, 2006

Today a Burger Saved My Life

Somewhere I've heard that DJ's have saved people's lives by playing a song ... and now In-N-Out Burger has taken it to a new level! They are going to save people's eternal lives! And they are going to do it by putting Bible texts on the packaging of their burger wrappers and cups! For example on the bottom of my chocolate Shake was the text Proverbs 3:5 and Nahum 1:7 on the soggy double-double burger wrapper! For those who were not "raised right," let me provide a little context.
Proverbs 3:5 —Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

Nahum 1:7 —The Lord is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble; and he knoweth them that trust in him.

Don't believe me? Well, you don't have to take my word for it! Snopes.com can confirm my tale! Now if only the Hindus will get in on the act and start adding appropriate quotes on vegie burgers, our capitalistic institutions of fast foods could not only deliver meals quickly but serve to save souls too! Of course, in San Francisco, there is a Hooters next door, so the balance of good and evil (as defined by really bad taste ... no the "wings" are not that good, just as the "articles" in Playboy are not that interesting!) is battled on a daily basis.

Those of you who are familiar with San Francisco might wonder what Frank and I were doing in the armpit of our dear city ... well, we were being tourists. Last year I decided that we should have meals with friends at least twice a month. This worked out well for the most part and we will continue to proactively spend time with the few who are left in the city! I will also continue with attending a live event each month, however, my hangover resolutions from the past are pretty much solid habits now and do not need reinforcing ... thus I needed something new for my 2006 resolution!

My Resolution: For each calendar month in the year 2006, I will spend one day exploring the city of San Francisco.

Frank has quietly agreed to join me, so it could be a "we" but if he's busy, I'll stick to the resolution. Anyway, what better place to start than with a trip down to Fisherman's Wharf and a shopping spree in Union Square. Our adventure started with a trip from the Castro district on the Historic F Line.

If you are a Triple A member, they have wonderful discounts. We were rewarded with 20 free tokens to an arcade on Pier 39, a free cruise and $6.00 off the entrance to the new Wax Museum. Fisherman's Wharf is always an interesting place to people watch. The Red Hat Society Ladies were out and practically outnumbered the sea lion's! To their credit, they were better behaved at least I didn't see any of them pushing each other into the bay!

After a little skee-ball and river racing at the arcade (Thanks Triple A), we headed to the Wax Museum, which unlike Madam Toussaud's, the celebrities are out of reach and looking well ... a little waxy. If you have ever visited the wax museum prior to its current incarnation, the new facility is a great improvement. Granted you are technically 9 feet below sea level, but I assume they have pumps if it floods and in a worst-case scenario, you could grab Marilyn Monroe and use her as a flotilla!

We had dinner with friends and Matt and Molly the night before and he had connected his iPod to the home stereo ... being ever so jealous, I confirmed my desire to leverage my iPod to keep my current collection of music fresh in my head. So our post In and Out Burger destination was to head to the Apple store and commune with the cult. Matt is becoming quite well known for his online music reviews ... check him out at http://moebius_rex.livejournal.com/.

We purchased our new toys and are not spending a lazy evening at home. Hopefully, next month's SF adventure will have the same gorgeous weather.

Pictures: Click to View