Saturday, January 21, 2006

A Plumbing Adventure

A few months ago I thought Miss Kitty had decided that the carpet next to the sink was a good alternative to the litter box. I had a rash of evil thoughts and then one day I checked under the sink and discovered that either kitty had good aim or I may have a leaky pipe. It was the latter. Grr. So then I had to ponder whether to contact the management company of the property or not? Because of the recent drama which resulted in my submitting a mandatory application by a November 14, 2005 or face possible eviction, I decided on not. Less contact is probably a better way of approaching them, besides I and the sink have survived with a tupperwear bowl for three months!

What to do? Well, I called my father of course. He surmised that it was probably a simple job and that the pipe was probably holding on by the paint. He was correct. Jerry (see picture above) came over with his toolkit and Bella and with a simple twist revealed that the entire system was holding on by a thread. YUCK!!! Corrosion is not attractive.

It is a good thing to have friends that have tools and know what they are doing, especially if your father is in another state! After removing the old pipes and a visit to the local hardware store, the task of getting things into place began. However, a little look at the corrosion and the build up in the pipes have made me reconsider drinking water straight from the faucet.

Bella was a help and Kitty decided to show her territorial rights by chasing the poor dog down the hallway and attacking her. Poor Bella was interested in the ball and Kitty was in attack mode and not in a good mood! Needless to say, it was a change of pace and I've got new respect for the animal with whom I share a home . I'm sure she has things to say.

Pictures: Click to view

What does it take to fix a sink? Apparently a bit of sawing.