Monday, September 20, 2004

Sliding into 36 – The Pre-Birthday Events

Tapeo

Frank did a great job of getting the boys together … not that there is that many left! John was heading off to meet Ben in Paris and Jeff was off to China. To solve the big hole that would be left in their lives if they missed the opportunity to celebrate my birthday, we met at the Metro and had dinner at Tapeo! It was a nice collection of new friends and friends I haven’t had the opportunity to see in a long time. Even better was the fact that Tapeo was offering 2 for 1 Tapas and we got to eat like little piggies – thanks go out to Rusty for taking over the ordering responsibilities!

Surprisingly, I lost two pounds according to the scale!

Badlands

I was going to say I haven’t been dancing for ages … then realized that technically we had gone dancing at the foam party in Guerneville, so I’ll say that I haven’t been to Badlands forever! And, it hasn’t changed, though they are currently trying to lure people in with cheap beer … it worked.

Now, I’m not the world’s best dancer and will cop to the fact that I tower on the dance floor. I’m often reminded of a great children’s book where a camel wants to be a ballerina. She realizes that she will never be a great dancer but enjoys herself and does not dance to please other people. I am not that self-actualized … others were demonstrably more comfortable with themselves. It was like watching the “Live from Badlands – The Elaine from Seinfeld” dance! We arrived and there were not that many people … and yet the dance floor was dangerously full. Legs were flying. Hips were popping. And people were spinning.

Now add to the mix the towering giant (self-actualized) who would drink two beers at a time and who would finish the beer by holding it aloft over his head and dripping the last drop into his mouth! Then, with a giant flourish, he would swim those long limbs back into the air and swing them monkey like around and around. It really gives tall people a bad name.

However, the shorty’s were well represented by the bouncy-I’m-a-Tigger toy and the guy that was crushing something invisible in his palm with his invisible pestle. Once the magic was ready, he blew the magic into the room … yeah, right. Thank God James joined us or we would have looked like little stuck up snobs … judging everyone who wasn’t us! I can hardly wait to return for my 37 birthday!