Monday, September 20, 2004

Point Sur Light Station – State Historic Park


The Gate to the Lighthouse!


One could argue that it isn’t a “hike” but the tour does go uphill and we were required to walk. This was definitely on of the highlights of the hiking experiences. We had to wait for the gate to be unlocked before we could drive across the private cattle land and park at the base of the hill. We had two docents, who reminded me of my father, and they were great storytellers. It was obvious to our little group of eight that these guys enjoyed the experience.

Point Sur is the only complete turn-of-the-century light station open to the public in California. From 1889 to 1974, families lived and worked in the buildings atop Pt. Sur. The unique stone lighthouse still guides ships with its light, though it is not totally automated. Some would call it cheesy … I call it good upbringing! I can’t fully explain but I am always comforted knowing that these experiences would be ones I could share with my parents and with Frank.


The Lighthouse