Friday, October 27, 2006

Life Lessons on MUNI #2 - Pay Attention to Details

One of the nice things about commuting is the fact that I get to leave the driving to someone else. This, however, is not the time for me to turn off my brain. I've been diligently calculating the fastest commute time to get to Oakland. Do I get off the bus at Montgomery or take it all the way to the Embarcadero? Montgomery in the morning and Embarcadero in the evening. Walking to the Montgomery St. BART station I've now learned that Pleasanton starts with a "P" and is not the "P" of Pittsburgh/Bay Point that I need to take.

I was trying to get to the office a little early and was in the happy place. I walked to the corner and the bus pulled up and I had a seat. Then I walked to the BART station and again, my train arrived! I was enjoying NPR and then noticed that instead of being at the 12th Street Oakland station, I was at Lake Merrit. Oops. Wrong direction. No problem. I go through the mental check in my mind to pay attention! I get to my building and when the elevator door opened ... I walk off and go to my office door, buzz in and then realize that I've exited on the wrong floor! So much for my own advice to pay attention to details!

Did I listen to myself and learn? Of course not! After a week of vacation, I left my cell phone and ... my security badge. It's happened before and the lady at the front desk just laughed and issued me a temporary badge. Life Lesson #2.1 - Don't stress about the little things that go awry!