Wednesday, August 04, 2004

NFV – Non-Fee Vehicle

Preparation. Setting the clock 30 minutes early. Taking my trash and the neighbors trash to the curb. Getting across the Bay Bridge in record time. Knowing that I will arrive in time for a meeting in Rancho Cordova in time and was prepared. All this positive karma went right out the window when I reached into my back pocket to get the bridge toll and realized that I did not have my wallet. Not only did I not have my wallet, I did not have a full tank of gas. I had less than a quarter of a tank of gas.

Taking the first exit, I raided my ashtray for coins and came up with $1.96. A full 4 cents short of the old bridge toll and far short of the new $3.00 toll. What to do? If I was advising someone else I could be calm. I could be collected and provide a word or two of wisdom. Attempting to calm the panic … I have no money … I have no cash … I’m going to miss my meeting … I got back on the freeway returning over the same stretch of road that I joyously covered so recently.

I approached the tollbooth, practicing my excuse. I have a problem … I don’t have the cash …

Hello, I don’t have …
Pull forward.
Excuse me?
Pull forward and I’m going to take a picture of your license plate. You have 5 days to pay the $3.00.

My “ticket” stated that I was simply a Non Fee Vehicle (NFV), which if you are ever in a panic over not having the cash to support Caldrons and the new Bay Bridge structure, and who won’t have problems when they bump that toll to $5.00! You can rest assured that you won’t be the first of last person to not have the correct change.