Monday, September 17, 2007

Kitty Passes

Kitty came into my life by being subtle. I had gone to the SPCA and there were crazy desperate cats begging to come home ... but then I saw her. She was curled up in a ball, raised her head, shot a glance at me and then went back to sleep. She had her blanket and a good snooze ... did she need more? Probably not, but I did.

She came home with me and after spending a few weeks hiding under the bathtub, made her way in to my heart. She wasn't much of a talker and that was okay because she liked to cuddle on my chest or lay her head on my heart. She didn't like heights, so didn't get on the counters. She didn't like the scratching post either ... but there was always a couch for her to sharpen her talents.

Kitty has been my constant. She is the one thing that always brought me home. She warned me when the earth was about to shake, but was otherwise pretty respectful of my need to sleep. She shared my studio, claimed Malle's room as her own, and was there when Frank and I bought our first home. She got her own room, but pretty much spent her days following the sun as it made its way through the apartment.

She also made room for the important people in my life, though some of her nicknames were not always the most complimentary. Miss Fatty ... said with love is endearing. The fact that I referred to her as a "used cat" got a giggle. She just found a spot, made herself comfortable and let the rest of us do our thing.

And now she's gone. She won't be here for our first Christmas, though her spirit is with us. Even now, I catch a glimpse of her sneaking by the TV room on her way to the office and her new bed. She was a good cat, a friend, a comfort and I miss her greatly. Safe journeys my friend.

My Tribute