Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Alaskan Vacation - Ketchikan and Victoria

Pictures: Click here to view

Ketchikan was one of my favorite stops. Our boat docked right at the center of town and we enjoyed one of the few sunny days. Before our float plane trip up to the fish hatchery we took a quick wander about the town. We found Creek Street and had the crap scared out of us by Dolly ... matron of the last brothel in town who stepped out of a doorway to invite us in. Now, I'm accustomed to seeing toothless people on the streets but I'm not accustomed to having them chat with me. Make eye contact and then speak. Maybe there is something to be said about country folks ... us city folks can be a bit edgy.

We took a float plane trip to a fish hatchery ... one that was rumored to be very inviting for bears. Prior to our trip, two planes crashed but we were not overly aprehensive. On the flight to the hatchery, I rode in the back. On the way back I got to sit in the copilots seat and had a front row view of the sights. We saw a bear and a pair of eagles. Awesome.



Victoria is an elegant city situated on the southeastern tip of Vancouver Island overlooking the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Growing up I have the opportunity to visit on several occasions and like so many other things ... it is much smaller than my childhood memory. It is clean, well-maintained and filled with flowers.