Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Walla Walla Revisited - Dad's 70th Birthday

Pictures: Click here to view

Near Death on the bus

Ahh, public transportation, always an adventure and always unexpected. I was supposed to meet Frank down at the Embarcadero with my luggage so we could take BART to Oakland airport. I waited patiently at the corner of Webster and Sacramento. The bus arrived and I paid my $1.50 and sat down on a seat with my legs straddling my bag. I was in one of the seats that face the inside of the bus and was also near the back exit. At this point, I'm mentally checked out, trying not to focus on what I may have or have not forgotten. Then the altercation.

A man tried to enter the bus and claimed to have a transfer. He looked as if he might be one of our special citizens and the bus driver started yelling at him. He would have to produce a transfer or get off of the bus. He has tried to pull this stunt in the past. At this point, the gentleman asked if the driver would apologize if he produced the transfer. Just show me the transfer. And he did. This is where the running dialogue strated. The crazy homeless guy started yelling about disrespect. As a public servent, the bus driver should be more respectful, or so said the crazy guy. Of course, it was a runing dialogue with the word "MotherF*****" every other word. The bus continued over cathedral hill and up nob hill.

About the time we were going to start down the hill into China Town, an older Italian guy gets on the bus and sits in the empty seat across from me and in front of the crazy guy. Our friend is still ranting and the Italian guy tells him to shut up. The crazy guy asks him what he's going to do make him stop.

"Are you going to hit me?

"I'll hit you, you dumb MotherF**** if you don't shut up"

At this point the Italian guy stands up, turns around, grabs the bag of the guy and throws the off the bus. Words are exchanged and the Italian swings at the guy. He stumbles off the bus and at this point the bus driver gets out of his seat and heads to the back. Frank calls.

"How far away are you?"

"I can't talk. There's a fight on the bus."

"Really? Are you taking pictures?"

"People are swinging at each ... I'm not going to take any pictures!"

At this point, the homeless guy jumps back on the bus and swings at the Italian guy, whose head then snaps back and hits the window with a thud. His hat falls off and lands on the floor in front of two Asian school boys, dressed in school uniforms.

"What? You've never seen a man stand up for himself? Stop staring you dumb Motherf****ers."

The Italian guy got off two stops later and in his place sat an older gentleman who smelled like 30 day old urine. The people in the back of the bus started to comment on the fact that the Italian guy should not have engaged in a dialogue with the crazy guy who was obviously not all together in the all together. Me? I was thankful to get off the bus unscathed and to get on BART and head back to the sane world of Walla Walla.

Silverwood

Silverwood is a small amusment park in Idaho outside of Spokane, WA. Frank and I flew Southwest airlines to Spokane and spent the night at my cousin Wally's. He and his son showed no mercy and whipped us at Yatzee! The next morning, after a unique version of the Dutch Baby, we met Mom and Dad and Julie and her family. It is a small park that was originally built around a train and old airplanes. The midway area of the park has expanded to include two great wooden rollercoasters and a few fun water rides. Considering the age and the height limits, it was a good day.


The following day, I got to pull Uncle duty and played in the water park before heading to Walla Walla for Dad's birthday party.
Dad's Birthday
Walla Walla is always an odd thing to experience as an adult. In many ways, it is the home of my youth and everything is very familiar. Now when I visit I see people with kids who are the age I was when I lived there. Of course, it doesn't help when your father is turning 70! I can remember when Dad was my age and 70 was a long ways away! Crazy. We had a good time with friends at a Mexican restaurant and then a family picnic on Saturday. Good times., especially when they came in and put the Sombrero on his head.
A Little History Tour of Walla Walla
Growing up in Walla Walla meant long bike rides out on the country roads. Bikes eventually changed to scooters and motorcycles, but some of the destinations remained the same. Fort Walla Walla is one of the destinations that is fun to visit and since it was Louis and Clark days the museum had special live performers, though Frank and I could not figure out how anyone would confuse the short puffy-haired blond women with glasses as Sacajewa.
Another destination that holds many memories is the Whitman Mission National park. Frank and I took the girls out for a walk after a movie and Taylor took an opportunity to lie down where Narcissa Whitman was shot. Then we walked on the Oregon Trail and decided that we were not fit enough to travel by foot 5 - 25 miles a day. Trying to wow the girls, I tried to boast about working with the guy who wrote the book for Version II of the Oregon Trail software. They are past the age where this has any meaning to them. Oh well. It was good to walk the trails again and I was glad that I could show Frank a few more sights.